KNOX COUNTY REGISTER OF DEEDS POLICY AND FEE SCHEDULE
FILING FEES (Effective January 1, 2013 through January 1, 2018)(Section 33-109)(LB 14)
The filing fees for the Register of Deeds’ offices in the State of Nebraska are as follows:
1st Page of Document = $10.00
2nd Page and Subsequent of Document = $6.00
· The above fees pertain to ALL documents filed in the Register of Deeds’ office with the exception of the following:
UCC Financing Statements, Amendments and Continuations – remains the same fee at $10 for the first page and $.50 for each
Federal & State Tax Lien Termination – No Fee
UCC Termination – No Fee
Relinquishment – No Fee
DOCUMENTARY STAMP TAXES (Effective 7/1/2005)(LB 40):
Documentary Stamp Tax = $2.25 per thousand
· In August 2011 the NE Dept. of Revenue Property Division has provided a new version of Form 521. You may access the new Form 521 at http://pat.ne.gov/ under “Forms.”
· Item 25 has been added to the new Form 521, which the filer must complete. A list of exemptions is available from the Register of Deeds or at www.revenue.ne.gov/PAD under “Featured Information.” Click on “Documentary Stamp Tax” then click on “Documentary Stamp Tax Exemptions Chart.”
· Register of Deeds WILL NOT accept a deed for recording unless items 1 through 25 are properly completed and a Real Estate Transfer Statement, Form 521 is signed. Please follow the “Instructions” for completing the Form 521.
· All Death Certificates now require a completed Real Estate Transfer Statement (Form 521).
· All Easements now require a completed Real Estate Transfer Statement (Form 521).
SPACE REQUIREMENTS (Effective 8/27/11)(Section 23-1503.01)(LB 254):
· Shall contain a Blank Space at the top of the First Page which is at least 3 inches X 8 ½ inches. IF THE FIRST PAGE OF THE DOCUMENT PRESENTED FOR RECORDING DOES NOT HAVE THE REQUIRED BLANK SPACE, WE WILL ADD A COVER PAGE AT THE COST OF AN ADDITIONAL PAGE.
· “No attachment” or affirmation shall be used in any way to cover any information or printed material on the instrument. (ex. Nothing may be taped or attached to an instrument)
· Every Instrument presented for recording shall have on the first page BELOW the 3 inch margin a return address and the Title of Document. If this space is not provided, a cover sheet will be added and an additional $6.00 will be charged.
· 1” on both vertical sides and 1” on the bottom. This applies throughout the document.
· At least 8 ½” x 11” and no larger than 8 ½ ” x 14”
· Shall be printed, typewritten or computer generated in BLACK ink
· Must be WHITE paper, of not less than 20lb weight
· Must be legible
· All signatures on an instrument shall be in black or dark blue ink
· Names of each party shall be typed, printed or stamped beneath the original signature
· Stamps shall not cover or interfere with any part of the instrument
· Font size shall be at least 8 point
Exceptions to the rule:
· Instruments signed before August 27, 2011
· Instruments executed outside of the United States
· Certified copies from governmental agencies (ex. death certificates)
· Instruments signed by an incapacitated or deceased person at the time of recording
· Instruments formatted to meet court requirements
· State & Federal Tax Liens
· UCC Instruments
· Plats, Surveys, etc.
PHOTOCOPIES AND FAXES
In-Office photocopies of documents are: Letter size-25 cents per page; Legal size-30 cents per page; Ledger size-35 cents per page
Faxed, Emailed or Mailed out copies of documents are: $1.00 per page
Research of Property or Abstracting is not done by the Knox County Clerk or office personnel.